The 3-way inter-club competition between Musselburgh Camera Club, Beeslack Penicuik Camera Club and Haddington Camera Club took place on Thursday, 24th February 2022. The meeting was hosted by Beeslack via Zoom, with images judged by Simon Allen from Dumfries Camera Club. Musselburgh had come 4th in the 4-way interclub competition earlier in the year, so we were eager to do better this time.
Each club has submitted 15 digital images, making a grand total of 45 images. There were landscape images, wildlife images, horticultural images and portraits ranging from characters at a battle re-enactment to a family beach holiday. The most unusual image was a stunning astrophotograph called “Cygnus Wall”, submitted by Haddington.
Simon mentioned there was a high standard of images overall. There were no bad images, and the marks represented the overall ranking of the images compared against each other. Simon commented on the composition and execution of each image. He described what he liked and didn’t like about each one. The best photographs had a clear distinction between subject and background, and images with bright distractions lost marks. But Simon pointed out that some background objects were necessary to show the whole story. For example, a portrait of a soldier would not have worked without the out of focus image of his musket. Some images had sharp edges in the background which might have been created by selections in Photoshop not being properly feathered.
Musselburgh members watched the competition either from home or from room G3 at Fisherrow. The post-competition chat had to be curtailed for those at Fisherrow because of a change to the Fisherrow opening hours (so apologies to Beeslack and Haddington that we had to leave so quickly at the end). The final scores were:
- 1st place: Musselburgh Camera Club, 255 points.
- 2nd place: Beeslack Penicuik Camera Club, 248 points.
- 3rd place: Haddington Camera Club, 232 points.
So our revamped selection of images was a big success! Here are Simon’s best Musselburgh images:
- Roe deer on guard (Jennifer Davidson) – 17 points.
- Glenfinnan Viaduct (Steven Beard) – 17 points.
- White Tailed Sea Eagle (Mike Clark) – 18 points.
- Millarochy Bay Sunset (Gordon Davidson) – 18 points
- Kalia – Green Activist (George Todd) – 19 points
- Dreaming of days gone by (George Todd) – 19 points
- Stylish (Carol Edmund) – 19 points
- Mountain Gem Humming Bird (George Todd) – 20 points
Well done to Musselburgh, thank you to everyone who provided images for this competition, thank you to Simon Allen for judging it and thank you to Beeslack for hosting it.