On our second club night of the 2019/2020 season we watched a CD of images accepted into last year’s Dingwall National Projected Image Competition. We watch these images to give us some inspiration and also see what kind of images are popular at the moment. In the “Landscape” section there were many photographs of reflections and aurorae, but images of a lone tree against a snowy background seemed to do particularly well in the competition this time. The “nature” category included a wide variety of images, ranging from a dangling slug to a group of lions.
Next week (Thursday, 19th September) I will be giving my “Introduction To Photography” presentation. Bring along a camera to join in some practical demonstrations.
Some club announcements:
- Joe Fowler will be giving a photography and mounting class for new members and beginners. If you are interested please see Joe at the next club meeting.
- Musselburgh Camera Club will be taking part in the Musselburgh Communities Day at the Brunton Hall from 11am-3pm on Saturday, 21st September 2019. We need some volunteers to help look after the display. If you can help please contact Steven Beard at StevenMBeard@aol.com.
- Jim Tod is arranging two club outings in the near future.If you are interested in any of the four options below, contact Jim at firstname.lastname@example.org or sign your name on the sheet hanging up on the noticeboard. Ask Jim for detailed directions.
- The first outing is a masterclass in seascapes and long exposure photography on Saturday, 21st September. There are two options: (1) Meeting at 06:30am at the old outdoor pool in North Berwick to photograph the sunrise; and (2) Meeting at 09:30am at Seacliff Beach (off the A198 near North Berwick).
- The second outing is an autumn photoshoot in the Trossachs on Saturday 19th or Sunday 20th October (depending on Scotland’s rugby world cup fixtures). Again there are two options: (1) Meeting at 7.30 am at boathouses south end Loch Ard to capture the early morning light; and (2) Meeting at 10:00am at Kinlochard Village Hall.
Some photographic opportunities coming up:
- The Battle of Dunbar reenactment is taking place this weekend, Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th, from 11am to 5pm, with the main battle taking place at 3pm. A good opportunity for some great costumed portraits and dramatic battle shots. I recommend bringing a telephoto lens to capture the action from a distance.
- The Edinburgh Riding of the Marches ceremony also takes place on Sunday, 15th.
- Sunday, 22nd September 2019: The Scottish Half Marathon takes place along the East Lothian coastline. Click here for details.
Click here for a route map.